Do you know what mind mapping is?
A mind map is a kind of a diagram used to visually organise our information. It significantly helps with remembering, learning and understanding. Mind map is mostly created around a single topic. Topic is written in the middle of paper and next related ideas are connected to it. Major ideas are connected directly to the central concept, and other ideas branch out from those. Ideas can be represented by words, articles or even images. It depends only on you, how you like it and how you feel it.
Those are some Mind map guidelines suggested by popular British psychology Tony Buzan.
- Start in the center with an image of the topic, using at least 3 colors.
- Use images, symbols, codes, and dimensions throughout your mind map.
- Select key words and print using upper or lower case letters.
- Each word/image is best alone and sitting on its own line.
- The lines should be connected, starting from the central image. The lines become thinner as they radiate out from the center.
- Make the lines the same length as the word/image they support.
- Use multiple colors throughout the mind map, for visual stimulation and also for encoding or grouping.
- Develop your own personal style of mind mapping.
- Use emphasis and show associations in your mind map.
- Keep the mind map clear by using radial hierarchy or outlines to embrace your branches.
As example of mind maps created not by hand but by software I want to show you my collection of maps, which were created during my technologies studying. Collection includes following: AngularJS, Lodash, SASS, Jasmine, Babel, Jspm, Npm and Gulp.
If you can not view colours properly, try to use Safari browser instead. Thank you.
So what is your opinion? Did you know about Mind maps before? Try to write some and share with us your new experience. I thing this is really creative and working form of learning.